About

I started this blog to write some stories and about my various projects. Since retiring I have some time to reminisce about my past experiences. Also I have started a project to build a monitoring station that will have sensors to monitor various aspects of the atmosphere and the environment around my place. This blog will describe my efforts to design, build and operate the sensors. Plans are to make near real time data from the sensors available on my web page at htttp://ocrslc.net. My monitoring site is called Otter Creek Research Station because it is located between the east and west branches of Otter Creek.

3 Responses to About

  1. BOB DIMAURO says:

    Jim, greatly appreciated seeing your story about rebuild of your Hearthstone H1 stove. We have the same stove and are going to attempt a rebuild as well, as we are getting smokey smell in the house and see wisps of smoke coming occasionally from stove top. How did the sodium silicate hold up? We notice we have several stones on the side panels that have hairline cracks and are being told that the stones cannot be repaired, only replaced.Thanks in advance!

    • jimhannon says:

      The sodium silicate has worked well. It is only good to join broken stones that have a break that fits tightly together. The stones that I glued are still tight and you can barely see the joint. The joints between the stones is another matter. The stones are held in place with metal strips placed in grooves in the stone. To make the stove air tight these joints have to be sealed with stove cement also called furnace cement or fireplace mortar. This can only be done effectively by disassembling the stones and cleaning the joints before applying the cement between the stones. It is important that the stove be airtight no only for smoke leaking out but for proper operation of the stove air control system. Hope this helps.

      • BOB DIMAURO says:

        Thanks for the info, I understand the bit about re-mortaring the stones, Just wanted to ensure that you had no breakdown of the sodium silicate, Our cracks on the side panels are hairline, so figured we’d fix those when we had the stove apart. Happy to know the stove can be saved!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s